What you should know to avoid a visit from the city code compliance officer

This article is intended to provide comprehensive information on what is required by the City, and is based on a review of City laws, rules and regulations.

Code Enforcement Officers routinely drive through our neighborhood and issue citations for situations that appear to be in violation of code. If you receive a code enforcement violation, check the information below to make sure you understand the rules and contact the appropriate City staff to discuss a remedy.

If you are unhappy with these Codes, or disagree with enforcement, please do not take it out on your neighbors. Instead, talk to the City staff. These are rules that apply to all residents of the City of West Palm Beach.

Owners and occupants of all property, whether improved or unimproved, shall be responsible for keeping their entire premises, including the front, side yard, one- half of the alley, and the parkway or swale and/or easement adjoining the property free from yard and garden wastes, including tree limbs, leaves, branches.

All properties in the city shall be kept free from weeds and grass of a height exceeding six inches, including parkways, and swales.

Swales and parkways shall be sodded or seeded by the adjacent real property owner or occupant with grass, which shall be maintained to a height not greater than six inches, or with other suitable landscape materials in accordance with applicable city ordinances and policies.

No plantings shall be permitted in any swale area.

No planting shall be placed in any parkway unless it complies with the criteria for plantings established by the public utilities department.

Residential garbage is collected twice each week (Monday and Friday) and needs to be placed in the alley behind your residence. Containers shall be placed for collection no earlier than 6:00 p.m. of the day preceding the scheduled day of collection and must be removed on the day of collection after having been collected.

  • Residential garbage and refuse shall be placed for collection in residential containers and shall be drained of all liquid before being placed for collection.
  • A residential container and its contents may not weigh more than 50 pounds.

Garden waste is collected each Monday and must be in the front of your residence.

  • Yard and garden waste may be placed for collection no earlier than the day preceding the scheduled day of collection.
  • Residential yard and garden waste shall be placed in one pile for collection in the swale or parkway immediately in front of the premises.
  • This waste may also be placed on the paved street, but not more than four feet from the curb.
  • Yard and garden waste shall not be placed on any sidewalk.
  • Yard and garden waste shall not be mixed with garbage, refuse, rocks, dirt or soil.
  • All yard and garden materials, such as tree limbs and trunks and shrubbery cuttings, shall be cut to maximum four-foot lengths and no more than 12 inches in diameter.
  • Small yard and garden waste, such as leaves and grass clippings, shall be placed in bags as defined in this article and shall not be place in residential containers.
  • The amount of residential yard and garden waste placed for collection shall not exceed an amount contained within 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 18 feet long, the equivalent of approximately ten cubic yards. Special pick-ups for Piles of yard and garden waste exceeding these limits is required.
  • Privately employed tree trimmers, landscape contractors and lawn maintenance services shall remove and dispose of all waste from the premises upon which they are working, including, but not limited to, limbs, tree trunks, roots, shrubbery and grass clippings and other debris emanating from their work.

Recyclable materials are collected each Monday.

Bulk items and white goods are collected each Monday.

  • Bulk items may NOT be placed on the street after a hurricane warning or watch has been issued, or during a named storm, as such items can pose a hazard in strong winds and have potential to damage the surrounding area.
  • Call the Sanitation Department at 822-2075 for a special pick-up of waste piles larger than the maximum allowed (PLEASE NOTE: there is a fee for special pick-ups).

Disabled and/or unlicensed vehicles cannot be stored on the premises unless located in a garage. A disabled / unlicensed vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power.

Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; It also includes tree trimmings and fallen limbs.

All currently licensed autos, trucks, vans and motorcycles must be parked on an approved driveway or paved surface.

No commercial vehicle of more than 10,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight may be parked in a residential neighborhood.

RV’s, Boats & Trailers over ten feet in length are prohibited. RVs and boats may be parked on private property but must be screened from the view of abutting properties.

All vehicles must be currently registered and maintained in a neat and operable condition. All RVs must be unoccupied while stored on residential property.

The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows and screens, and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather-tight, rodent proof, sound condition and good repair.

The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors and other openings that cannot be readily opened from the outside. Boarding up of a structure requires that the owner obtain a permit for a Boarding Certificate from the Construction Services Division.

Outdoor storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors, may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts or building materials outside.

Owners of rental dwelling units that are occupied are required to obtain a rental license. (This includes Air BnB hosts.) Dwelling units that have been added to the interior or the exterior of a structure without the proper permits are illegal.

Businesses are not allowed to operate in residential areas as they disrupt residents and the community. This means that car and boat repairs, construction of cabinets and furniture, and other activities that are not normally carried on in a residential district are prohibited. Remember, engaging in a business requires an occupational license.

All properties shall post an address

  • Address numbers shall be no less than three inches in height and one inch in width.
  • All address characters shall be Arabic numerals

Owners or tenants of all houses having a service alley shall also post a number that is visible from the alley